Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Quick Sweater ReMake


I don't usually sew clothing items, I'm much more comfortable with small accessories.  But, this weekend I did attempt a very simple sweater remake.  I had been looking for a taupe cardigan to wear with skirts, dresses, and also jeans.  You'd think it would be easy enough to find, but I wasn't having any success despite hitting 2 large malls and several other stores like TJMaxx, Target, and Marshalls.

But, I did find a V-neck pullover at Macy's.  It was the perfect color and it was on sale!  So, I thought it might be a good candidate for a remake.
I simply cut it straight up the center and then serged the cut edges.
Then I just hand stitched a rolled hem.

I wore it yesterday, and I'm happy with how it turned out.  I'm debating about whether to add a closure of some sort.  Maybe a little hidden hook and eye, or a small ribbon tie, or possibly a vintage button with loop.
I'll play around with these options and see what I like best.  All in all, I'm happy with the outcome.  :)
How about you? Have you attempted any clothing remakes lately?

6 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

I love the color and you're so brave to cut a sweater. What a great transformation. Very stylish. Oooo...pretty pretty buttons. The only clothes "altering" I've done is cut up old shirts for a quilt!

Niesz Vintage Home said...

Thanks Stephanie! Bravery came from the fact that the sweater was on sale. Lol
Cardigans are just so much more versatile for my wardrobe, it was worth the risk.
I still have a bag of my sister's t-shirts that she wanted me to make into a quilt...I really should work on that.

Kimberly :) 

Unknown said...

This is gorgeous!!! Great idea and super results!

Niesz Vintage Home said...

Hey Sweetie! Thanks! :)
I bought it mainly to use with my fall outfits, but I think it should work year-round.

mf said...

I really love this. I live in FL and the only thing i seem to get any wear out of are my cardigans--i get hot so they're on, off, on, off. I looked at the bins on my closet shelves recently and i have a bunch of pullover sweaters--question, though, did you have any issues with raveling once you cut? What type serger stitch did you use? I have a new serger with differential feed that should work great for this. Thanks again.

Niesz Vintage Home said...

Thanks! I mostly wear cardigans, myself.
I didn't have much trouble with raveling. Of course, I serged immediately after I cut. I have a 3-spool serger and used what I assume is a basic overlock stitch. (sorry, not very knowledgeable about sergers).
I went through my closet, too, and found a couple others I'd like to remake. :)